Saturday, April 6, 2013

Gluten-free banana waffles


The oldest owl-cat's friend is allergic to tree nuts, gluten, and dairy and possibly more--his siblings have additional allergies. He told my son about the banana waffles: for each person eating, mix 1 mashed ripe banana and 2 eggs. That caught my son's imagination and we tried a variation on that theme, which we found here. I didn't have arrowroot powder, so I substituted cornstarch. The coconut oil on the waffle iron added a nice flavor. The cinnamon was nice--I also added vanilla. 

I tripled this recipe for the five of us, so it looked like this:

3 ripe bananas
9 eggs
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

See the recipe for directions. They took about 2 minutes to cook in my waffle iron. I would think that a non Belgian-waffle iron is the best approach (which is what the linked recipe used as well).

We enjoyed them with powdered sugar and cinnamon.

What we thought: Owl was skeptical at first when he saw the recipe, but we all really enjoyed them--even the littlest owl-cat (22 months old) who refuses to eat eggs (but adores bananas). We will make these again!

The owl-cats clamored for more, so I had to appease them with toast. So, it may be better to think 1 recipe per person if you cook for unusually hearty appetites. 

1 comment:

  1. How delicious! Thanks for the link-back.

    So glad you and your family loved these waffles. What a great way to get a little protein and a lot of deliciousness into the morning. And what a great picture! I love your heart-shaped waffle iron!

    ReplyDelete